Minca and My House - By Maria

We are staying three weeks in a town called Minca. The town is very very small. It is pretty much just travelers. There are more travelers than people who live in this town. I like hearing so many different languages even though I don't know them. Because of the travelers, it is a little more expensive here. There are more types of different restaurants too. 
Me in front of a Middle Eastern restaurant. The food was so good!



There are only four roads in this town. The whole town could fit into a Target! 

In order to get to town, we have to walk a quarter mile and then cross a bridge that is four pieces of bamboo with wooden boards across it. We like going this way to town, even though there is another way to get to town. I like the bridge, but sometimes the water gets really high and touches the bridge and it is really scary that you'll get wet or fall in. 




One night we went to a dessert restaurant and there were singers and there were some people who were taking videos and pictures there. They were from Korea. They were filming a travel show, and they told us we would be on Korean TV. They filmed our table for a long time. 

In Minca there are so many speedbumps and I trip on them a lot. Some are made of cement, but some are just big thick ropes laid across the road. 

There are also lots of stores, but the biggest store is like twenty feet in and ten feet wide. It is normal to see cats and dogs in the stores. 



We had a river very close to the place we were staying. If you walk like 2 minutes down the road, you will get to the river. If you walk 12 minutes further along the bank of the river you will get to some cool rapids. There are big rocks to climb on and rocks to jump off of and you can ride in the current. There were lots of other people swimming there. I liked going to the rapids. 




We saw lots of beautiful colorful birds. One weekend we went up to a bird watching sanctuary and we saw Santa Marta parakeets and they are endangered.  And there were hummingbirds everywhere. That's what we saw the most, and they were the color of the ocean. 



At night the workers put out bananas and monkeys came to eat them. 

We saw lots of bugs. There were lots of sand flies and they bit us a ton. We saw a scorpion in our house, on my shorts that were on the ground (not when I was using them). We saw some tarantulas in our yard and on the road. Ants bite there too, and they stay alive when you step on them. 





We had a living room with a small couch. We could not fit our whole family on it, not even squished. I had two bunks alone and I slept in the same room as my brother, but he got a big bed. My favorite part of the house was the area where we ate outside and there were two kinds of hammocks there. I liked sitting on the hammocks and playing on the hammocks and working on the hammocks. Every house in Minca had a mini water tower. There were tubes everywhere around town to get the water. 


The water tower at our house

We had a cook and the food tasted really good. She was very very nice. 



The kind of juice that is there is blackberry juice. Blackberry juice is everywhere. 

Comments

  1. Another great entry on your blog, Maria. You could be a travel writer.

    I think I would have difficulty crossing that bridge. The scorpion would have me cringing.

    I enjoyed reading your blog. But I am glad you are home.
    Hugs - Grandma Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your blogs, Maria, although it looks a bit scary at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had difficulty opening this blog so I tried one more time this evening and got it. Like your Grandma Deb, I would not like crossing the river on that narrow bridge. You probably ran across. Grandma G

    ReplyDelete
  4. We loved reading this blog, Maria! Such an interesting and excellent description of your final destination town there in Colombia! We especially enjoyed hearing what your favorite parts were, and seeing the corresponding pictures. The birds are stunning! The bridge sounds fun! It would be so cool to see if you could find yourselves on Korean TV! We really enjoyed seeing the pictures you and Seth near the rocks and water, and of your kids with the cook! She looks very kind. The outside eating area with the hammocks sounds very peaceful! The water system is interesting, too. Thank you soooo much for writing this blog, Maria, and for giving us a glimpse into your fascinating time there!!

    ~Grandpa & Nana-Carol ❤️

    P. S. The scorpions would be absolutely terrifying! I would worry about stepping on one if I got up at night to use the bathroom, or as I slipped my shoes on. 😱😱😱 That’s the stuff my nightmares are made of! 😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Years Celebration - By Maria

Nature in the Amazon Rainforest

Amazon Communities - By Maria